Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Party

Sometimes I'm not very good at parties. On Tuesday night though I finally managed to plunge in, and after some embarrassing loitering on the fringes of groups met some very interesting people and enjoyed talking to them - many people - Jake Arnott's siblings; Jake himself; Jill Dawson and Louise Doughty (who won an Arts Council award the same time I did for FIRES IN THE DARK - a book about the persecution of the gypsies during the second world war); authors involved in the FALL anthology or Santa's Mix - Hari Kunzru, Nicholas Blincoe and Matt Thorne; the designer of Jill Dawson's brilliant website who is also an actor soon to appear in a Jack Dee show; Duncan Minchell, the producer of book at bedtime whose parents live in Chester; and Ruth, my editor's new assistant, Laura, who is Henry's, Henry himself who is my publicist, Carole, my editor, Jocasta who used to be my publicist but who is now an editor; Philippa and Sheila from AP Watt; a Dutch agent; a French agent; several English agents - all of them jolly and lively.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Clare, you are much more worth than "wall flower with observaton tactics"! And I don't doubt you managed it, if only you'd divulge...

Come on, spill some more beans...

Thu Apr 06, 11:26:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missing the "i" in "observation" there! Sorry!

Thu Apr 06, 11:28:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crimeficreader: as you can see the blog has since been doctored - Hodmandod Major (my eldest son) thought it sounded too pathetic. But it was true - ah well. There is honestly very little to divulge... after a couple of glasses of wine everything becomes a bit of a haze.

Fri Apr 07, 08:43:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like a doctor in the house...
Nothing like the best insight from observation...
Nothing like amending to be "more you" when it matters...
I do it too. I just scrapped a whole post as the bigger one is coming...
Life's about the big, the small and the gaps of nothing/waiting, and it's sometimes the gaps that make more sense.

Sun Apr 09, 12:17:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home