Monday, April 10, 2006

Pre-Raphaelite Drawings at the Lady Lever Art Gallery


To celebrate the fact that I have, as far as I am concerned at the moment, FINISHED MY NOVEL, Hodmandod Senior and I went to the Lady Lever art gallery in Port Sunlight near Liverpool to look at some Pre-Raphaelite drawings. H.S. likes this sort of art very much, and I like rolling my eyes at it, going urgh and generally being a bit of a Philistine - so a good time was had by both of us - especially as the Lady Lever art gallery serves some very good cakes which we had to have before looking at the drawings (for energy) and afterwards (as a reward for the painful business of appreciating culture).

There were some good drawings though - and I particularly liked this one which is a study for a painting of a mermaid by Edward Burne-Jones called DEPTHS OF THE SEA. I like it because her determined vindictiveness comes through so very beautifully. In the picture she is dragging the man she loves to the bottom of the sea where he will drown, but at least she will have him to herself...

Port Sunlight Village is in itself a very interesting place. It is a model village designed by one of the Lord Levers for the workers employed in his factory. The houses are all different and there are lots of green spaces so his workers had an unusual and enviable place to live.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

end of novel joy!

Tue Apr 11, 05:57:00 am  
Blogger Jason Erik Lundberg said...

First of all, congrats on finishing your novel!

Secondly, that sketch is just creepy, even more knowing what the final product would be. There's so much expression in that face.

Tue Apr 11, 03:14:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"End of novel joy!"
No more new joy? No- work's done.
Readers' joy begins.

Tue Apr 11, 08:55:00 pm  
Blogger Summertrees Tea Shop said...

Congratulations on finishing your novel. I wish you the best of luck with it. But when do you have time to write? You are always attending parties full of famous people, and going on exciting jaunts all over the place. You are amazing!

Wed Apr 12, 08:13:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perry Middlemiss: Yes, that's right - there are a lot of famous Pre-Raphaelite pictures - the ones everyone recognises. It's such a small out-of-the way place and quite surprising that these pictures have ended up there.

Ben: Yes, but still has to be approved by agent and then, if it is, sent out to publishers - just the start of a long road. But very glad to be finished - it's been a hard two years.

Jason: Thank you! Yes, I think that face is creepy, very menacing - but the very worrying thing is I have this strange feeling I saw her once in real life, when I was a child. I know this is stupid, but I can't shake it off.

Anon: Very kind. Is that a haiku I see before me?

Cathy Timberlake: Thank you. Parties occur once in a blue moon, sadly. Although I admit I have had a bit of a glut over the last few months - it's been one every two months! Most of the time I just sit at my desk.

Wed Apr 12, 09:25:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing your novel, Clare!
May your Easter be awash with a well earned sense of achievement amonst other good things.
Port Sunlight Village looks like my kind of place from the picture...
Best wishes.

Wed Apr 12, 11:19:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home