Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Anjte, Ellis and and Anais too

A few months ago I bought music by a singer called Antje Duvekot (who I think is based in Boston) - this has been my constant companion ever since. She has the sort of lyrics that mean something to me - powerful and truthful - something in them reminding me of Tracy Chapman's songs.


I sent an email to her website and now receive updates of her concerts. This has led me to buy further CDs - one by Ellis Paul (AMERICAN JUKEBOX), which was also good - I particularly liked the image of mountains kissing the sky.

Tonight the Antje Duvekot website sent me an email telling me that she was performing in Brattlebro VT with one Anais Mitchell, so after sampling one or two tracks on-line have downloaded Anais Mitchell's music HYMNS FOR THE EXILED from itunes. These songs, like Antje Duvelot's, are quite intensely lyrical with an interesting variety of backing. Music like this takes time to sink into me. It settles - tracks jostle for position - that one I disliked at first ending up my favourite; while that one I loved initially, slips, eventually, into another position.

Sometimes I find I need music to write. I listen and words come into my head. They are often nothing to do with the words I am hearing, just the mood they have brought on. Anyway, I am now looking forward to my trip to London very much. I have some good music loaded onto my ipod and I am half-way through an excellent book (AUSTERLITZ by WG Sebold), and I plan to meet a fellow-blogger in the British Library followed by a trip to the Millennium Bridge and, I hope, a good look around the mud of the Thames to see if there is any interesting rubbish there (as suggested by blogger Mark Gamon).

Who needs parties?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

So glad you like Sebald. He's amazing, isn't he? And he always supervised his English translations.

Thu Jul 13, 11:53:00 am  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

Oh i love blogging - i've just downloaded Antje's album, and you are right, it's wonderful. thank you for the recommendation!

You probably already have their albums, but just in case you don't, check out The Weepies and Deb Talan on iTunes - i think you'll like their music
x

Fri Jul 14, 02:19:00 pm  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I must go take a listen...thanks! Have a safe and fun trip :)

Fri Jul 14, 06:47:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee: most of the way through the Sebold now. It is very unusual in style and I love it - and he writes about places I have been, which adds to my enjoyment.

Susannah: No I haven't got those albums - shall them out - so thank YOU. I got that initial recommendation from someone writing into this blog BTW - so this is very much a blog-led recommendation.

Thanks Tammy!

Sat Jul 15, 01:22:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home