Sunday, November 12, 2006

An event in Gent

I might be wrong about this but as far as I can work out there is an exhibition on Women and Madness in Gent Museum in Belgium and to coincide with this very interesting topic Pascale Platel, Walter Van Steenbrugge, Anna Luyten and Jos Geysels will be discussing three books at the Kunstencentrum. These are De blauwe jurk van Camille by Michèle Desbordes (about the life of the artist Camille Claudel which sounds fascinating, although the book doesn't appear to be available in English),


De Steniging by Frénk van der Linden, a debut novel about a woman called Priscilla by an award-winning journalist, I think, and...




98 redenen om te Zijn
by Clare Dudman. Which means I have the perfect excuse to put my lovely Dutch book cover up on my blog again...

I am delighted about this - the publication of my book in Dutch has brought me such happiness in an otherwise bleak Autumn.

This event, which is free, and organised by De Morgen newspaper (whose journalist, Marnix Verplancke, I met in Amsterdam) takes place at 20.00 hrs on Tuesday, the 21st November at:
Kunstencentrum Vooruit
Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 23
9000 Gent
Belgium.

If only I spoke Dutch I would be there - I'd love to know what they say...
Link

12 Comments:

Blogger mareymercy said...

That is truly awesome - congrats!

Sun Nov 12, 10:29:00 pm  
Blogger Lee said...

Maybe you should go - somebody will always translate.

That is one gorgeous cover; and at least the Dutch have some sense about fine literature. Now I've just bumped Nooteboom to the top of my TBR pile.

Mon Nov 13, 07:50:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Clare,

Good news lurks behind the darkest clouds just to surprise us sometimes.

Mon Nov 13, 09:53:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The exhibit looks wonderful. And Ghent is not far from Bruges -- that magical medieval city -- I think you should go visit the exhibit, Clare! By the way, what is the painting on the cover of your book? My copy has a photograph.

Lee -- A few years ago I read a great Nooteboom novel about Berlin, called (I hope I'm remembering this correctly) _All Souls Day_. Impressed me.

Mon Nov 13, 05:57:00 pm  
Blogger Lee said...

Hi Susan, the one winking at me from my table is called The Following Story. I'll look out for the one you recommend. (Sorry, Clare, for this private aside. I'm too lazy to write an email.)

Mon Nov 13, 07:33:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks very much, all of you. You're very kind. I am really pleased but just trying to come to terms with everything really.

Yes, Susan B - I would love to go to Gent and Bruges, it's a lovely idea - but it will have to wait for now.

Lee: heh heh - by all means feel free to talk - as long as you don't mind if I listen in...

Mon Nov 13, 11:05:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Clare! And how good to see that lovely cover again. The Dutch have a class act there.

Tue Nov 14, 11:42:00 am  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Best of luck with your Netherlands edition. That is a fabulous piece of painting on the cover, too.

Did you ever see the film of Camille Claudel? I remember seeing it at 'Cornerhouse'- which of course you will know. It had Isabelle Adjani andGerard Depardieu and in it.

Tue Nov 14, 01:20:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it is very lovely! And you have a beginning of a limerick challenge in the post title.

Tue Nov 14, 05:07:00 pm  
Blogger Annelies A.A. Vanbelle said...

Hey Clare,

Discovered your blog today through the literary pages of the Belgian newspaper De Morgen.

If I get to the Vooruit on tuesday, I'll report you next week. I'm a regulary visitor of the Vooruit literary evening.

Greetings,
R.

Wed Nov 15, 06:40:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CFR: Yup, class act indeed. I am so lucky having such a gorgeous cover.
Jeremy: I'm going to have to look out for that film. I expect it's on DVD now.
Marly: yes, limerick challenge - my next BAFAB competition, perhaps.
Sensotheque: Thank you so much for visiting! I am really excited by this...and the amazing thing is I went onto your blog and you are featuring my blogging friend Debra Hamel's book Neira. (She's Deblog on the side bar). Such an incredibly small world.

Wed Nov 15, 08:15:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderfully small world! Thanks for mentioning my book, sensOtheque! And Clare, congratulations on the appearance of the Dutch translation!

Wed Nov 15, 08:27:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home