Thursday, June 07, 2007

12.30am

Final post. I am about a quarter through American Scientist. Medium articles are followed by short articles and then a couple of general-interest essays.

A couple of the medium sized articles interested me a lot: one described a silicone sphere just 5 mm in diameter with a capillary tube stuck into it on either side. Rat heart cells are grown around it and the whole thing pulses 'in syn' pumping fluid in and out of the sphere - a micropump.

The other article was a phone for illiterate populations. Motorola have eliminated layer upon layer of menu lists - finding that people rarely use most of them - and have resorted to a menu of simple icons. Sounds good for this literate phone-user too.

Ah well, time for bed. I was going to keep blogging all through the night but when I told Hodmandod Minor my intention he reminded me that I had to be up early tomorrow to take HS to the station. 'And we'll just keep quiet about that idea of yours, shall we, mother?' he said, pityingly.

According to Hodmandod Minor the act of blogging in itself is tragically sad and embarrassing - but this experiment of mine today has, to be frank (and he always is), plumbed new depths.

'No offence.' He says. Finally.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed sharing your day, Clare!

Thu Jun 07, 04:41:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Susan! I'm going to print it out and give it to Hod Minor as a birthday present.

Thu Jun 07, 09:41:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to have made that mistake last night in thinking you had stopped at 6.30. I loved your account -- have posted about it on Petrona.
Hope he likes his present, at least it is cheap ;-)

Thu Jun 07, 01:07:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff - a day in the life of writer Clare Dudman! Thanks for sharing and entertaining, Clare.

Thu Jun 07, 08:25:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Maxine and CFR! So pleased you liked it. To be honest I went to bed thinking what did I do that for? And I still don't know the answer.

Thu Jun 07, 08:32:00 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Hmm.
Sons are good at " Mother!", said in that certain tone ( mildly loving but also mildly exasperated....!)
Hmm.

Fri Jun 08, 03:09:00 pm  
Blogger Kirsty said...

I like it when people do small experiments with the blog form, which is how I interpreted this. There's lots of unexplored possibilities in this form.

Maybe H Minor will appreciate your efforts in years to come, when he wants to get to know you as an adult. I know of one blogger who writes with the knowledge that her son will read her blog one day. She says he will because her son likes to read stories about himself.

Sun Jun 10, 03:32:00 am  
Blogger Debi said...

An 'experiment with the blog form' - yes and a fascinating one at that, Clare.

Mon Jun 11, 11:07:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jan and Kirsty - yes I like HM's way of saying 'mother' - it is so worldly-wise and weary.

And Debi - thank you! You really shouldn't encourage me, though:-)

Mon Jun 11, 03:07:00 pm  
Blogger Gordon McCabe said...

What a fascinating array of hairstyles and clothes you sport within the space of a single day, Clare! It's like you re-invented yourself, Madonna-like, every couple of hours!

Tue Jun 12, 10:42:00 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I loved this Clare - sorry I missed it while it was 'happening'. My loss. But it makes great reading. Your son will love it. He's a wise Hodmandod. I hope he passes his chemistry paper.

Sat Jun 16, 12:35:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home