Tuesday, November 06, 2007

A Day in Birmingham.

On Saturday I went to Birmingham to meet a friend called Nicola


whom I hadn't seen for about thirty years. She looked pretty much the same as she did all those years ago (except taller). Obviously we had a lot of catching up to do and only managed to get through a fraction in the four hours we were together. But it was fun...and I got to chat up a man who couldn't answer back (the best sort).



No idea who he was, and neither did the staff of the local museum across the square.

However they did manage to identify Priestley (discoverer of many different gases and fizzy drinks, who was chased out of his nearby residence, I believe, and ended up in the US)


and Watt, who invented lots of things but his main innovation was a very useful improvement to the steam engine.

Though I think they may have had clues.

Additional Note: A quick google search has revealed that my silent friend was one Thomas Attwood, British economist and political reformer. So it is strange he had so little to say for himself, really.

7 Comments:

Blogger S. Kearney said...

Nice, Clare. Statues are great for that ... they don't complain when we need to just use them as props! lol

Wed Nov 07, 12:21:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I missed you Clare, I was in the city centre as well on Saturday meeting a friend for lunch. I don't know where you ended up eating, but if you don't already know it Hudson's in Colmore Row, just off Victoria Square, is very good for lunch or tea. Thanks for posting pictures of some of our statues. I just love the way that part of the city has been re-shaped and with the Town Hall now open again it's really humming up there.

Wed Nov 07, 09:19:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Shameless - thinking of getting one installed in my study.

Aha, Anne - well next time we ought to meet. I thought the installation of the statue of Thomas Attwood was really imaginative - the way he just sprawled along the steps, his papers and soapbox scattered behind him.

Wed Nov 07, 02:09:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I misspelt your name, Ann - my apologies...

Wed Nov 07, 02:10:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're forgiven. Let me know if you're going to be in town again and perhaps we can meet for coffee.

Wed Nov 07, 08:44:00 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

That must have been an amazing meeting, Clare.
There are a few people I'd love to meet up with after many yrs...rather scary in some ways, I suppose, but fascinating to see if they'd followed "predictable" patterns, whatever.
How did you get back in touch after so long??

Wed Nov 07, 09:22:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ann: Yes, I'd like to do that...next time I'm in Brum I'll be sure to let you know.

Jan: Friends Reunited. Nicola left a message so I became a full member. I've met a few old friends from high school like this, but Nicola is the first I've met through F.R. who was at infant school with me too.

Thu Nov 08, 08:31:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home