Thursday, November 08, 2007

Manchester Writing Group

Just been out to a little writing group in Manchester - four (usually five) women writers at Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) all aiming to write novels. It was well-organised and made me think a lot about the business of writing. I think a writer needs the company of other writers.

Tomorrow I am heading to Liverpool to meet some more writers there for lunch.

One day soon I am hoping to graduate from talking to other writers about writing to actually doing some!

5 Comments:

Blogger Susanna said...

me to!

Fri Nov 09, 03:23:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm sure you're right about the company issue, Clare. In fact in most cases where you're trying to do something that means you're working on your own on a daily basis getting together with others who are ploughing the same furrow is really important. It helps you to see that the problems you hit are not 'your' problems but those common to the endeavour you're trying to move forward. The PG students I worry about most are the ones who isolate themselves from their colleagues and don't attend PG seminars or even more important, the session in the pub afterwards.

Fri Nov 09, 08:26:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Susangalique - I am the expert procrastinator.

And yes, Ann, I think sometimes I can carry on alone, but I don't think I can. I think madness lies in that direction. Writers often seem very interested in insanity. I think that is because we are so often on the edge.

Fri Nov 09, 09:01:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like riding a bike, I believe. Once learned, all you have to want is the next mileage allowance, so I'm told!

But it draws; it beckons; it tempts; it pulls like a habit/dependency. Which is not to distract from the love of writing...

Just follow that urge, Clare...

Sat Nov 10, 04:57:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you're right, CFR!

Sat Nov 10, 08:11:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home