Thursday, January 03, 2008

Broken Resolutions

The new year is not going well so far. Every day I write a list of things to do in my splendid new diary...and then ignore them. Bad woman.

Today it read:

8am-10am: Finish short story (I actually had a long bath, did some laundry and then cleaned out the fridge);
11am- 12.30pm: Yoga (did this including something called the 'double-twist' which is as eye-wateringly excruciating as it sounds);
12.30pm- 2.30pm: Shopping for food (this lasted until 4.30pm because there was a not-so-swift-detour involving the clothes sales in Marks and Spencers);
2.30pm - 6pm: More writing (not sure what I've done since I've come in but had several cups of tea and now know a lot more about the norovirus sweeping the country, the tragic life-stories of people evacuated from the Royal Marsden Hospital fire yesterday and how it feel to be 35 stones and living in Mississippi courtesy of the BBC News website).

Actually I did come across some interesting things while I was out so maybe the day was not entirely a waste: for instance, there were so many basketball players practising in the sports hall when I came out of yoga that the pounding of their basket balls and feet made the floor shake quite impressively; then in the supermarket queue I caught myself staring at an elderly man and his middle-aged son whose noses jutted out at exactly the same angle and at one instant lined up exactly in a type of nasal eclipse; and because my yoga teacher told us at the end of the session that no matter how unattractive our exteriors inside we all have the potential to be beautiful (an interesting but not altogether uncontentious view, I felt) I picked out the two most ugly pomegranates I could find in the spirit of sympathy and research, and found that they were indeed quite luscious.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Mind, I'm going to steal your 'nasal eclipse'.

Thu Jan 03, 08:32:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh.

Fri Jan 04, 08:17:00 am  
Blogger Anne S said...

A pomegranate eater I see. We have a pomegranate tree in our garden, which is just in the process of growing little fruits that in time will turn into big gourd things.

The pomegrante flower is also a beautiful thing - a bright orange bell shaped flower that forms the base of baby pomegrantes.

However, despite this bounty I hardly eat them. I make plans to transform them into pulp or nectar but somehow never do.

I like posing a bowl of them so I can photgraph them, then just throw them away - back into the garden.

I loved your image of the two noses. I saw an interesting young couple as I was on my way to work this morning. Both were on skateboards, gliding peacefully down the footpath in tandem. The girl, however, had her arms outstretched as if she was flying. I was touched by this gesture.

Fri Jan 04, 10:03:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne: it sounds so wonderfully exotic to me to have a pomegranate tree in your garden! I didn't even know that they grew on trees. I suppose I'd never had to think about it but if I'd had to guess I think I would have said a low-lying bush.

I have always loved pomegranates I think apart from the taste I like the way you have to struggle to eat them and not eat the bitter embrane that goes in between. I also used to like the way that they seemed to herald Christmas - that is the the only time they seemed to appear - now they seem to be available all year round like strawberries.

You like my image of two noses - well I love your image of the skate boarder holding out her arms...it is a great thing to be able to come across the everyday events and still be moved by them, I think!

Fri Jan 04, 07:50:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home