Monday, February 18, 2008

A Disturbing Interruption

On Thursday I got a phone call from my brother, who is a consultant at a hospital, to tell me that my father had had a massive stroke, was in a coma, and was not expected to last very long. However, just before Hodmandod Senior and I got there the next morning, my brother rang again to tell me my father was showing signs of improvement, and when I got there the obstinate man was sitting up in bed and fairly lucid, at least some of the time. No one knows what was or is wrong with him, and my brother says we should all take just one day at a time, so I am just relishing now. My mother is bearing up quite well, given the circumstances.

So now I am back at my desk trying to put my brain in order; a rather difficult task since I seem to have misplaced just about everything. I have, in the meantime, read rather a lot of Chekhov, and the resumés will follow shortly.

4 Comments:

Blogger jem said...

'One day at a time' the best motto for us all to live by.

Best wishes Clare - its hard to settle your mind at times like this.

Mon Feb 18, 11:01:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jem - yes, exactly, 'One day at a time' The trick is to keep remembering this!

Mon Feb 18, 09:58:00 pm  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Clare, I somehow missed this--glad to find your father so obstinate. I'm wondering, since he responded so soon and well: did they give him tpa?

More anon and elsewhere (right now we're on school break)

Sat Feb 23, 05:33:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a tpa, Marly? They were talking about giving him an MRI scan, but I don't think they have so far.

Sat Feb 23, 07:16:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home