Friday, November 21, 2008

A Natural Leader


I have spent the day reading and making notes from this (slightly amoral - in my view) book.

One of my characters is a leader and I have been trying to think of how he could be charismatic. I had looked up papers on charismatic leaders (e.g Max Weber's Theory of Social and Economic Organisation) but found these were written more from a sociological stance, rather than a psychological one. I needed details - and then it occurred to me to try a popular self-help book like this.

Charisma can be either natural or learnt - and there can be several motives. My character wants to lead, and has some natural charisma, but it is only when his motivation is honourable - i.e. he is led by love, rather than is driven by revenge - that he is truly successful. Half way through my novel he is changed by something that happens to him to help him to see this, hence my need for this book.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Fascinating ... is it an American book by any chance? ;)

Sat Nov 22, 03:12:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a clever idea - must file that one away for the future ;)

Sat Nov 22, 09:45:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, Kay, it is an American book - but I have noticed the behaviour it recommends seems to have been taken up by certain people I have come across in the UK. It really does advise a rather cynical approach to life - a manipulation of other people for one's own gain. It's made me realise a few things.

Thanks Barbara - it is interesting and useful, but I have to say that in some ways I wish this stuff wasn't in my head.

Sat Nov 22, 11:03:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home