Thursday, November 27, 2008

Sebald Treat

The English Pen newsletter has come in with an interesting article by Will Self on W G Sebald. The Rings of Saturn is something I am saving for myself as a treat when I have eventually finished this editing.

I have gone back through the book modifying one of my characters and am now wondering about the depth of another. It is a bit like shaving the legs of a chair - a little off one, set it down, and still it wobbles - so that means a little off another... and around and around until, eventually, the chair has no legs at all, and all I am left with is a blank page.

I am on page 255 now, and think I might proceed now to the end before going back to the beginning again.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Anne S said...

I love W G Sebald's Rings of Saturn.

It has a really attractive melancholy quality to it - sort of brooding.

Fri Nov 28, 08:04:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Sounds great, Anne - -especially if you recommend it!

Fri Nov 28, 09:32:00 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Brilliant...the slow steady shaving of table legs.
The silence of the Blankest of Pages.
I felt a bit seasick though on reading that once you get to the end, you're going to go back to the beginning..!

Fri Nov 28, 05:19:00 pm  
Blogger jem said...

I love that image of the chair legs. It reminded me of Dahl's 'The Twits' where they stick slices onto the chair legs and walking stick to make the other think they are shrinking. At least you know you are doing the shaving.

Thu Dec 04, 01:22:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home