Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Clinch.

In fact there was no need to do my light experiment, because when I woke this morning I discovered that two more moths had emerged overnight and one of them - which was huge with eggs - was in the process of being fertilised by one of waiting males....So maybe they were all males after all.

I have tried to separate them just now because I thought they had been mating long enough (they are only 'supposed' to mate for three hours) but I was unable to break their clinch. I have transferred them to my 'ovarium' (a box with a wet flannel over the top inside another box with a lid in an attempt to keep them humid enough).


I have also put them on some glossy paper in case this proves to be a better medium for eggs than newspaper.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Fascinating stuff indeed. I am so intrigued by all the goings on - and you are recording it so meticulously well Clare. It's a treat.

Mon Feb 09, 07:48:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks, Kay. You are very kind (as always)!

Mon Feb 09, 10:09:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aargh! Blogger ate my comment! Keeps doing that.

To summarise, I said "they don't seem to get much of a life, though, do they? Born, mate....then die? Will await developments!"

Mon Feb 09, 04:14:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

No, Maxine - it constantly strikes me how the life of the silkworm is a metaphor for so many things!

Mon Feb 09, 10:54:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home