Friday, February 06, 2009

Emergence Day!

I just looked under the flannel this morning, not expecting to see much, but instead I saw this!


Three moths have emerged, and two of them (at the top) are mating already. They seem to exude a sticky substance when they come out which stick the cocoons together so I am going to space the rest out, and also try and check them in the early hours which is when they tend to emerge. I wonder if it was the damp flannel that did the trick. No doubt I shall write more on this later, but in the meantime here is a little film...

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Susanna said...

wow! that is super cool!!!!

love your new profile pic. YOu look really beautiful and happy from the inside out!

Fri Feb 06, 01:08:00 pm  
Blogger jem said...

That's amazing. I can't get over the speed these silkies work at. They put our species to shame. No sooner have I asked a question about what they might do next, before they've done it, you've filmed it and posted about it.

Fri Feb 06, 02:40:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Woo hoo - 'Silken moths, the next generation'

I can see it now...

Fri Feb 06, 04:37:00 pm  
Blogger crimeficreader said...

Clare, your enthusiasm and passion are addictive. Never did I imagine I'd become hooked on the life cycle of silk worms...
Thank you.

Fri Feb 06, 08:13:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thank you, Susangalique! I got Hodmandod Senior to take it - I think that makes all the difference!

Yes, I can't get over it, either, Jem - from a caterpillar to this in just a week! It is truly an astonishing transformation.

Ah, thank you Barbara - I've been wondering what to call them. Silken moths will do very well, I think.

Thank you CFR, I'm glad you think so too! It's very good to know I'm not alone.

Fri Feb 06, 11:44:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home