Thursday, March 19, 2009

A few days break.

I have been away: to where domes meet spires; where the Byzantium citizens held off marauding nomads; and where there was so much awe-inspiring artistry in all directions that it was like something too piquant on the tongue. Eventually I couldn't taste at all.


'You've fallen in love with it.' My mother said, and I think I have. The rest of the world fell away. Gold leaf glittered on the walls and narrow lanes ended abruptly in the gentle green of jade.


Light flickered off roofs and I was woken each morning by bells peeling across the square and the smell of spiced bread rising from someone making deliveries below. A Vivaldi and then a Bach violin concerto in the hall of a medieval prison had such beauty and yet evoked such painful memories that I had to force myself to stay.

Now I feel I have lost track. I keep thinking about that place and wondering what I'm doing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It'll come to you, no doubt. I envy your trip away, but I know all about coming back again and feeling displaced. Still, good to hear about it.

Thu Mar 19, 10:02:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, I was lucky - I'd forgotten how great it is just to get away (even if it is just for three nights) and feel you don't have to do anything.

Thu Mar 19, 10:24:00 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thu Mar 19, 10:51:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going to try this again. My name link didn't work as I expected it to.

Hurray for your inspiring trip! Milk your time warp for all it's worth. The feeling will evaporate all too soon.

Thu Mar 19, 10:52:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

It was wonderful, Mary. I think you're right.

Thu Mar 19, 11:30:00 pm  
Blogger jem said...

I know what you mean about that sense of confusion when you return home, you feel lost, like perhaps you left a bit of yourself back there. Which reminds me, I haven't been away in too long.

Mon Mar 23, 12:21:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home