Thursday, April 09, 2009

Insect Physiology and Biochemistry by James L Nation

The local library rang - a book too expensive for me to buy had arrived there from the British Library. I have it until the 27th April.


It is called Insect Physiology and Biochemistry by James L Nation. As usual, when I borrow a book from the library, when I leaf through and see what's inside I just wish I owned it. There is so much fascinating information in here that I honestly feel excited when I look through it.

It consists of a series of short chapters on different topics with many diagrams and pages of references at the end of each. The effect is rather like anthology of short stories and it is fun dipping into each one. The first one talks about programmed cell death and a gene called reaper which 'plays a major role in the control of apoptosis in drosophila' which strikes me as witty, and then, to my great delight, there are photographs of imaginal discs. It's clearly written, and easily understandable even to a layperson like me. I think I am going to learn a lot this Easter weekend.

Labels: ,

Link

2 Comments:

Blogger Gordon McCabe said...

It's only £38 Clare; go on, buy it! Good books need to be owned, they're gemstones of knowledge, items to be treasured and hoarded.

Sat May 02, 07:59:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

I appreciate the sentiment, Gordon (and in an ideal world would agree with it wholeheartedly) but unfortunately I am slightly bereft of the old reddies at the moment having worked on (and bought a huge library of books for) five non-fiction proposals and at least three novels which have earned me nothing. I'm not complaining because the experiences have made me a far more knowledgeable person, and I have enjoyed doing them, but until something worksI have to hold back a bit.

Wed May 06, 08:10:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home