Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Wider Sky

A big surprise today - my father sent me this:


A Wider Sky, and autobiography by the late artist Sir Kyffin Williams. It is a gorgeous book, and delighted to think that my father sent it to me for no reason except that he'd been reading a copy and thought I might like to read it too. Inside there are more pictures by the artist - mainly pen and ink.


Kyffin Williams spent some time in Patagonia on a Churchill scholarship, and there is one painting of his - a man and a boy on a horse going through a bright yellow hay field behind an indigo sky, that I would dearly love to be on the cover of my book.

4 Comments:

Blogger M.M.E. said...

Nice book. There are so few of us artists and illustrators out there.

Thu May 28, 04:17:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Oh, I didn't know you were such a rare breed, MME! More glad to have you around than ever, then.

Thu May 28, 06:13:00 pm  
Blogger cromercrox said...

This post brought back how much I've valued the books my father has given me over the years. I learned to read with the copy of Winnie-The-Pooh my parents gave me (which I still have); when I was still very small he read H. G. Wells to me, and gave me a couple of Wells anthologies that switched me on to SF. And then, much later, when I was recovering in hospital from an accident, he brought me 'Labyrinths' by Borges. I've long since recovered from the accident ... but not from Borges.

Thu May 28, 11:00:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Ah, this brings back memories, Cromercrox! All three of us were Winnie the Pooh fans, and I've always loved H G Wells. I've never read any Borges - sounds like I should. One day...one day...

Thu May 28, 11:46:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home