Monday, October 12, 2009

Business Card Storage: I have the technology.

I have been learning a little about Chinese etiquette. If someone compliments you, it is important to dismiss it, and not accept it. I like this, and since it is my natural tendency to do this anyway, think I shall find it very easy to adapt to this aspect of Chinese life.


The presentation of business cards is also important. They must be admired and looked at thoroughly before being put away. They must be handled by the edges, and the front (as Brian Clegg has pointed out) must face the receiver, and when the receiver finally does put them away they must go into a special wallet. Luckily Hodmandod Senior already has one of these special wallets, and has just gone through it taking all his old cards out so mine might go in. This has caused him to spend some time reflecting on the good 'ol days, when the place he worked for had a library and he could look stuff up in journals, and there were people around him occupied in similar cerebral activities, and he would make discoveries... and life was good.


Poor Hodmandod Senior - all that has changed now. One by one all the research scientists have left; and where there were once hundreds there will very soon be just Hodmandod Senior alone.

3 Comments:

Blogger Colin Shelbourn said...

Ah the joys of dismissing compliments. I once attended an assertiveness course where one of the things taught was to accept compliments gracefully and not be shy in returning them. In other words, value yourself and others.

It was so refreshing. There was a lot on the course where I found myself thinking, "I'm allowed to do this?"

But perhaps it wouldn't go down so well in China. On which note ... have a splendid trip!

Thu Oct 15, 04:46:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

I think I'd feel exactly the same, Colin.

Interesting what appears to be different. Apparently if you say thank you too much that is dismissed too.

And thank you! Your advice of you and your friends has been a great help. I'm very grateful.

Thu Oct 15, 10:19:00 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I'm very excited for you Clare. You are a wonderful pre-parer. I think you could write a pre-parer's How To! Not long to go now ... Oooh, you must be getting SO excited!

Fri Oct 16, 10:46:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home