Thursday, June 03, 2010

TV Presentation with a MacBook Pro

A comment from Paul Halpern on my last post initiated a little research and I have found that the problem with my presentation may have been caused by the fact I was using a MacBook Pro rather than my old MacBook.

In the old style MacBook the output was analogue which could be fed into an old style TV without problems.

The new MacBook Pro however has a digital output which must be converted into analogue via 'a converter box' in order for it to work with an old style TV. However this digital signal works fine with an HD TV (and, presumably, the analogue signal would not). Furthermore, I suspect this digital signal may not work with some digital projectors either.

So, since I still have my old MacBook I might be better off converting all my movies to run on that if I am likely to encounter a non-HD TV. But that would mean that I might have a problem with screen size. My old MacBook has a standard-sized screen (which I can accommodate on iMovie) whereas most TVs (HD or not) are now wide-screen, so maybe everything will be distorted unless I can somehow change the screen size of the TV. Maybe I should take both laptops to future events - just to be on the safe side.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Halpern said...

Glad you are getting the issue sorted out. It is always good to have a backup plan. The US (and Apple) will just have to develop more flexible technology. I'll have a word with Steve Jobs if we happen to run into each other in the supermarket (not very likely, as we are on opposite coasts, but still it could happen someday).

Thu Jun 03, 12:43:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Heh heh - love the idea of running into Steve Jobs in the supermarket! I bet he spends ages over his fresh fruit.

Thu Jun 03, 12:48:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home