Friday, September 17, 2010

My Welsh Waterstones Tour: Stop 8 - Cardiff

I suppose it is fitting I should end my Welsh Waterstones tour with Cardiff.


It's a big bookshop - over 60,00 titles so a lot to organise. I had a good little spot by the door...


It is a little humiliating when I think of it, standing there asking people if they'd listen to me tell them about my book, but then I enjoy talking to people and telling them about Patagonia, and sometimes (and this is the best bit of all) they tell me their own stories. In Wales it seems that most people know someone who comes from there or has been out there - and once, in Cardiff, one person I stopped turned out a to be one of the British Council teachers and she'd been over there herself for a year.

On balance I have enjoyed this tour. I saw Welsh towns I'd never been to before, taken trains through wonderful countryside, but the best thing has been meeting people - the Waterstones customers and the Waterstones staff - many of whom have been so helpful and enthusiastic.

4 Comments:

Blogger aliholli said...

Did you sell many books?? I know that wasn't the be all and end all but a nice bonus...I'm loving it. Didn't get chance to read it on holiday as planned as we were SOOOOO busy racing around cities and swimming in 3 different seas (!) plus I was THOROUGHLY ENJOYING "Skippy Dies" but I'm now half way through YIPPEE xx

Fri Sept 17, 11:22:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Hi Ali, yes - I sold quite a few, so pleased about that.

Skippy Dies is brilliant, isn't it? Really delighted you loved it too.

Sat Sept 18, 08:33:00 am  
Anonymous Hsien said...

How exciting! Whoever got to meet you was a lucky duck. :)

Sun Sept 19, 02:54:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Qua-a-ack, quack, quack, quack (Trans. 'Thank you very much Hsien. You are very kind.' in duck language. They say a lot very fast).

Sun Sept 19, 09:57:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home