Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday Salon: Not Quite Reading

I really should be writing. I keep thinking that. I should stop doing so much reading of other people's books and do some writing of my own. The longer I leave it, the worse it gets. It's like standing, shivering, on the shore of a bleak ocean. You know you'll enjoy it when you get under the waves, but first you have to wade out.

But I came here to tell you what I am reading now; but really what I am doing is a combination of listening and watching as I wait for a couple of books I've ordered to arrive through my letterbox.

The listening is an audiobook 'The Castle' by J Robert Lennon, which was published by Graywolf Press and converted to audio by Iambick and read by Mark Nelson.


A man has bought a rambling old house in the place where he grew up. There are mysteries that are slowly uncovered: why is he there, what happened to his mother and father, and what is the significance of the piece of land that nicks a quadrangle from his back yard, and why is the name of the previous owner crossed out? It is completely absorbing and I spent a very happy seven hours on the train yesterday listening to the story slowly unfold. I am looking forward to hearing more.

Iambick books contacted me to find out if I'd like to sample their books and report back, and although I don't normally respond to these sorts of requests these days, I am very happy to do so in this case. They work well and are of excellent quality - the price is very good too!


As for the watching part - I am still on my Japanese run, and last saw another film by Yasujiro Ozu : the Flavour of Green Tea over Rice. This was lightly comic and very charming. A couple in 1950s Japan have a somewhat sterile arranged marriage built on lies. A young niece makes them question the validity of their relationship and the ending is unexpected. The acting was subtle and effective, and the action was just as slow and satisfying as the other Ozu films. I just want to see more.

4 Comments:

Blogger Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Nice to find a publisher who will share books with you that you find well written.

Here's my Sunday Salon post for this week. I hope you will stop by and
say hello.

Sun Mar 27, 07:17:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Well, it happens quite often Readerbuzz, but I have limited time - I expect its the same for you - and everyone!

Sun Mar 27, 07:52:00 pm  
Anonymous Mary said...

Maybe we're infected with a virus, Clare, a non-writing virus. I have been having a horrible time getting back to writing fiction, even though I have quite a bit of background work done on two pieces. I can't seem to find the motivation, even though I know I'm supposed to put my butt in a chair and just write.

Good luck on wading out into your bleak ocean.

Sun Mar 27, 09:35:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Mary! Yes, we must both take the plunge! I know it doesn't feel that cold once we get our faces under. :-)

Sun Mar 27, 09:42:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home