Saturday, May 28, 2011

What I'm Doing: 35

What I'm listening to:



Samson by Regina Spektor (my latest obsession, having just downloaded Live in London from iTunes).


What I'm going to watch next:


Avator directed by Sam Worthington.
Having heard about this for so long, I've finally got round to hiring it off LoveFilms.

What I'm listening to on audiobooks:


Parrot and Olivier in America by Peter Carey.
It's been a long time since I last read a Peter Carey novel and I'd forgotten what a stunning writer he is. I think the chairman of the Booker judges last year said we are privileged to live at his time, and I agree.

What I'm reading next:

Fiction: Frankie and Stankie by Barbara Trapido.

This is about children growing up in South Africa in the fifties (I think). It is gently funny. I think I'll read the rest of this author's output when I get the chance.

Non-fiction:The Silk Road by Frances Wood.

I've started this already a few months ago but got distracted. It's very interesting.

What I'm doing:
Looking forward to going to see the Taming of the Shrew at Theatr Clwyd.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jim Murdoch said...

I discovered Regina Spektor quite a few years ago through this wonderful thing called the Internet. My daughter is a huge Tori Amos fan and having bought her just about everything I could find I started searching for quirky piano players and happened to chance upon this lovely lady. About a year later she broke and you could see her stuff everywhere. The same happened with Emily the Strange, chanced upon this little book down Byres Road one day and then a couple of years later she was everywhere. It’s hard to find new stuff. The last CD I bought her was by the cellist Zoe Keating. I could see her wondering when I gave to her but the last time we met for lunch she told me how much she loved it. So I was chuffed.

Sun May 29, 11:15:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

That's an endearing tale, Jim! Obviously, we share the same taste. I shall investigate this Zoe Keating. Thanks for letting me know. I agree, it is hard tofind new stuff.

Sun May 29, 11:31:00 am  
Anonymous marly youmans said...

Spektor: is that by way of the junior Hodmandods? My daughter was obsessed with her in high school. Shall have to see if she still is...

The rest of my family went to see "Avatar." I wanted to just see the landscapes...

Hmm, I'm always wanting to read what you read but don't see how you have the time! Maybe three children at home just eats my reading time, and I will have my feet up and novels in my lap in a few years.

Just stuck up those silly pictures of Dave at Powis! I hadn't realized his tongue was out!

Sun May 29, 10:53:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

No, I encountered Spektor through Ali in spinning at the gym. I forget how old I am sometimes.

I do think the landscapes are the best bit of Avatar to be honest. I've only seen half of it so far, though.

Reading is pretty much all I'm doing at the moment, Marly. Yes, the empty nest is a very peaceful one.


Heh (about Dave). I am going to have to take a look!

Sun May 29, 11:42:00 pm  
Anonymous marly youmans said...

More Dave in the comments on the "Wales Album: tiny portals" post (third down at the moment.) He has a link to a picture of you and me at the amorphous boxwoods at Powis (although he calls that a a yew! I shall have to rag him about that one.)

Tue May 31, 01:43:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Marly - great picture from Dave! http://www.flickr.com/photos/89056025@N00/5756597265/in/photostream/

Tue May 31, 10:26:00 pm  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Yes, we look happy to be out frolicking!

Wed Jun 01, 09:40:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Heh!

Wed Jun 01, 09:51:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home