Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My first dip into my Bollinger Wodehouse pile.

I am waiting for a book to come from the US at the moment (part of my accumulating library on the Silk Road). I did order the book from an Amazon 'Other Seller' in the UK (the book being out of print for some considerable time) but that seller couldn't find it (after a week of waiting on my part) so I decided to order from the US where there were more plentiful supplies.


So, as I am waiting, I decided to sample one from my Bollinger Wodehouse pile Salmon Fishing in the Yemen by Paul Torday. It is 317 pages long, but is such an easy read it took me less than a day and reminded me of Alexander McCall Smith's work. It is an allegorical tale, I believe, about the recent Tony Blair government. The dubious art of bureaucracy comes over very well, and although I did find it generally entertaining, I found its humour gentle rather than hilarious.

It was a 'Richard and Judy Summer Read', won the Waverton Book award and is going to be made into a film. I can imagine a film working very well, and this will no doubt help to make the book even more popular.


A book that I have found hilarious is Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About by Mil Millington. It is, in fact, almost painfully funny - so much so I can only take a chapter at a time, and am rationing myself so it lasts a long time like a favourite treat.

4 Comments:

Blogger rodgriff said...

I loved Slamon Fishing. Such a weird title and a slightly odd style but it worked. I thought the ending was a bit lame but the whole book sets up an almost impossible situation, so an odd ending is almost inevitable.

Tue Jun 21, 12:34:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

You and lots of others, Rodgriff!

Yes, I didn't see that end coming, I have to admit.

Tue Jun 21, 12:43:00 pm  
Anonymous marly youmans said...

Hilarious, huh? Humor is hard. And I always like finding a genuinely funny book.

I have a package! Am waiting to open until after 8th grade graduation tomorrow evening because after listening to some guy from the sports center (that's what it was last time) or some such I shall no doubt need a reward.

Tue Jun 21, 02:15:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

I agre, Marly - humur is hard, and humour that will last (that is about the human condition rather than something topical) doubly so, I should think.

Very pleased to hear you have a package! I wonder what that could be. :-)

Tue Jun 21, 02:43:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home