Monday, June 13, 2011

At the Saltney WI

Tonight I learnt a very important lesson. Not all Women's Institutes are the same. Some Women's Institutes are more equal than others. Saltney WI near Chester is one of the best.


First, all communication was by email. This is good for several reasons, but mainly because I have a written record.
Second, Elizabeth, the chair, knew all about powerpoint presentations and what would be required.
Third, she had the screen, table and projector set up for me ready for me to plug in and go as soon as I got there.
Fourth, it was one of the friendliest and appreciative audiences that I've ever had for my 'Madwomen - 98 Reasons for Being' talk.
Fifth, they bought a couple of my books.
Sixth, they baked Victoria sandwich because it was a Victorian talk.


and, Seventh, best of all, they laughed at my jokes.
It was great! Thank you Saltney WI.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sue Guiney said...

It's the cakes that scare me. I'd probably end up rushing through my talk just to mush my face into that cream!

Tue Jun 14, 10:19:00 am  
Anonymous marly youmans said...

And they laughed at your jokes! What a good group of women they must have been, what with the laughter and the tasty-looking (and cake-looking) sandwiches and the book buyers.

May they all be like that in the future (and also buy a greater number of books in support of Dudmania!)

Tue Jun 14, 05:49:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Heh, heh - good point, Sue. Luckily, it was hidden until the end.

Yes, I know amazing, huh, Marly! That is the sort of rare sense of humour I like!

I've just realised (not understanding the sandwich reference) that you have probably not encountered a Victorian Sandwich. It is a type of cake. A 'sandwich' of two sponge cakes with jam and cream inbetween.

Ha, I have to tell you there is zero chance of Dudmania developing - for one thing this is my last talk (except for the final, final one in September). I feel I have done enough.

Tue Jun 14, 08:41:00 pm  
Anonymous Michael Fowke said...

That looks like a lovely cake. You're making me hungry now.

Fri Jun 17, 02:28:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, Michael - I feel hungry every time I see it too! Thanks for visiting, 'Money Shaman'! (I like it!)

Fri Jun 17, 03:51:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home