Thursday, July 18, 2013

Book Launch of Everyone Lies by A.D. Garrett

Last night, I went to good ol' Lingham's bookshop in Heswall for the book launch of debut author A. D Garrett's Everyone Lies.


A.D. Garrett is actually the new partnership between crime writer Margaret Murphy and Professor Dave Barclay who is a forensic scientist.  It was an entertaining evening.  Margaret read two gripping passages from the book (one a piece of authentic-sounding dialogue and the other a description of forensics) which was neatly followed by a session by the professor who described how this last passage related to real -life.  This was lively -  and featured shoe-throwing in best Middle Eastern style (indicating how footwear can provide essential evidence, rather than to inflict injury!) .


After the customary book-signing, I resisted opening the book for about an hour before succumbing to temptation.  Ann Cleeves advised Margaret to keep the preface for readers for themselves - a wise move.  It is powerful stuff - and  a stunning passage of writing.

The first chapter starts with a lecture, and it is here I think I can see the influence of the other half of A.D. Garrett, with some interesting and funny information on bodily fluids...well, one fluid in particular.  I am looking forward to the rest with relish.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nikki - Notes of Life said...

A book I must get and read. I was lucky enough to meet Margaret Murphy at Harrogate Crime Writing Festival last weekend.

Sat Jul 27, 07:30:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes! I recommend.

Margaret's one of the nicest authors I know!

Sat Jul 27, 07:40:00 pm  
Blogger Manoj Sterex said...

Looking forward to your review on the book!

Tue Jul 30, 08:03:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

I'll try and get round to it Manoj - limited time at the moment, I'm afraid. Really enjoying it, though!

Tue Jul 30, 08:33:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home