Wednesday, January 18, 2017

The Pied Blue Wood Blewitt

Meet a 'Pied Blue Wood Blewitt '- the result of a foraging expedition (in a local shop).  The 'Pied' part being French for foot.


I liked the blue -  the colour of a the sky after sunset and poisonous-looking - but at £44.48 a kg, I decided to buy just one to try.  'Good in omelettes,' the sign in the shop said, or 'in a cream sauce', but I took this single fruiting body and fried it in a little oil.


I was expecting it to taste uninterestingly of mushroom, but it didn't.  It smelt of peaty earth and  tasted something like white meat, and went very well with the small pieces of pate I'd added to our lentil salad.  


2 Comments:

Blogger Marly Youmans said...

What a lovely shape and color... Salad looks good too!

Wed Jan 18, 10:49:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Marly! Apparently these things grow wild over here and in the US too - I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to eat one I'd found though. It looks too much like inedible ones!

Thu Jan 19, 01:08:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home